Instead of killing your car engine and then rushing to the repair or service station, you should care for it. Most of the cars, these days are fitted with diesel turbo and interestingly, not everyone is aware of it. They only realize when they abuse the engine and have to take it to the professional. If you wish to ditch the huge bill on getting your car done, you will have to take interest and invest some time to take care of the engine.
There are a few basic tips that can help you keep your engine and diesel turbo in fine condition:
- When you plan to start your car for the first time in a day, especially on the colder days, take some time for it. Do not rush to race your engine. Instead, give it a warm up of around 10 to 20 seconds. So that, the diesel can reach the turbo.
- The next thing you need to do is to have some patience when you are about to start. Your car has been lying idle for an entire night or probably for a few days. Hence, you need to allow it to warm thoroughly 3 to 5 minutes before you actually drive off for the day.
- Just like the rest, it is important that you take warm-up seriously. When you give some time to your car to warm up, you care for the diesel turbo. This will help your car to have a better engine life. Henceforth, the key rule to starting the car is to wait for a few minutes.
- It is important that you get the oil changed at regular intervals. No car can work efficiently on the old oil. Not just changing is important, but also choosing the right quality is essential.
- Like the diesel, you need to get the filters checked and replaced after a specific limit. Ideally, it is 10,000 miles, but you can verify the limit for your car specifically. The moment it hits the bar, you have to get them replaced for a better performance.
- Do not rely on the service stations to help you with the oil for your car. Instead, you will have to go through the specifications in your car guide. It will educate you regarding the right oil that is necessary for your car.
- When you have had your long drive, give some time for the car to cool off. Rushing to switch the engine off can kill its life. In order to increase the lifespan of your diesel turbo, let the engine run in an idle mode. This will help it work down and then cool it off.
- There is always some scope to learn a few things about your own car. Do not hesitate to get your hands dirty for working on your car. Most of the cars these days have spark plugs placed near the cylinder head. Check for debris or dirt build up and clean it to keep your engine working efficiently.
- Always be receptive to the warning signs. The moment your diesel turbo engine begins giving you trouble, you should get it checked by the professional. Do not try to hit some local shop to get your car fixed. Only go to the authorized dealer to get your car done.
- There is nothing like getting your car serviced regularly. Do not wait for the diesel turbo to throw some problems, so that, you can take the car to the expert. Instead, plan your maintenance and servicing beforehand. It is will add some extra years to the engine’s life.
Hence, these tips will help you to take care of the diesel turbo efficiently.